Campus Recreation outlines Fall 2020 opportunities for students, employees
Citing a desire to offer “as many recreational opportunities as possible,” Campus Recreation is in
Citing a desire to offer “as many recreational opportunities as possible,” Campus Recreation is in the process of implementing a Fall semester plan throughout its two primary facilities — Swann Fitness Center at Fike and Douthit Hills Fitness Center. Access will be limited to students and employees to appropriately reduce the number of individuals coming to campus and capacity within Campus Rec facilities.
Please note several changes inside Campus Recreation facilities:
- All participants will be required to register for appointed workout times, which will be either 45, 60 or 75 minutes in length and offered throughout the day to accommodate varying schedules.
- Face coverings will be required throughout the facilities, even when participating in physical activity.
- All participants will be subject to temperature checks. Any person with a verified temperature of 100.4 or higher will not be able to access the facilities.
- Court areas inside Swann Fitness Center have been converted to classroom spaces and will not be available for recreational use.
- Equipment has been arranged to maintain physical distancing throughout the space.
- Rental equipment will not be available for an indefinite period of time and all participants will be required to bring their own towel.
- Approved disinfecting wipes have been placed throughout to clean touch points and help participants clean equipment after use.
- Locker rooms will be available for changing, but showers remain closed at this time.
“Things look differently as the University has transitioned to an era of modified operations,” said Jimmy Mullinax, director of facilities and operations for Campus Recreation. “The changes made throughout our facilities are consistent with state and University guidelines and are in the interest of keeping the Clemson Family healthy and safe, while still providing as many recreational opportunities as possible. We appreciate everyone’s patience and support in these unprecedented times.”
Swann Fitness Center at Fike and Douthit Hills Fitness Center are both available to students. Campus Rec intends to offer as many formal programming options as possible through fitness, intramural sports and outdoor recreation. Capacity and offerings will be based on the ability to participate with a face covering and practice physical distancing.
Rentals and trip registration through Clemson Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) opened Sept. 21 for active student membership holders. Hours of operation at the Andy Quattlebaum Outdoor Education Center are Monday-Friday, 12-6 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Employee memberships to Swann Fitness Center at Fike are scheduled to begin Oct. 1 to provide Campus Rec staff appropriate time to evaluate facility capacities following the return of students. As a reminder, Douthit Hills Fitness Center is limited to students only.
Employees who would like to register for a membership will need to have a COVID-19 cleared status, enroll in the payroll deduction program and sign the Campus Recreation participation waiver. Any previously enrolled employee should fill out a new form to begin a membership.